Be sure to check a few of these off the list before the snow flies.
Fall has settled in and the clock is running to get your house in shape for the winter months. The cold weather always brings a touch of motivation to get us moving before the snow flies. So as we’re busy preparing mentally for winter, it’s important to take advantage of the moderate weather and finish up any last minute repairs before the frost sets in. We wanted to pass along some suggestions for a Fall Home Maintenance Checklist to keep you on task. Hopefully these suggestions will keep your home in shape for another cold season and ready for the warm spring sun.
Here’s a handy guide to keep your house in peak condition this winter.
Exterior Home Inspection and Repairs
- Check the foundation for cracks
- Repair peeling or blistering paint
- Inspect the roof for missing or loose shingles
- Repair and seal driveway
- Clean gutters and downspouts (call us if you see any major concerns)
- Caulk windows and weatherstrip doors
- Remove and store window and door screens
- Install storm windows and doors
Interior Home Heating Season Preparation
- Have heating system checked
- Change batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Clean fireplace and replenish wood stores
- Check windows for drafts, loose frames, or racked panes (call us if you see any major concerns)
- Vacuum or replace air filters
- Remove window air conditioners and cover outdoor AC units
Yard and Garden
- Plant spring flowering bulbs
- Drain fuel from gas‐operated lawn equipment
- Reseed patchy areas of the lawn
- Clean and store summer garden tools
- Drain hoses and shut off outdoor water valves
- Fertilize the lawn
- Ready snow removal equipment
Porch and Deck Area
- Check porch and deck supports, stairs and railings
- Clean and apply sealer to decks
- Cover and store outdoor furniture, barbecues, etc.
- Empty dirt from flowerpots and containers
Hopefully our Fall Home Maintenance Checklist can serve as a reminder for something you’ve been meaning to do. Taking care of your biggest investment is important! If something is too far gone to repair, we’d be happy to help you get it back in shape!
At Great Plains Windows and Doors, We are all Andersen, All the time. And we’re the only ones doing it this way. Come see what we have to offer.
If you need some help navigating the window replacement process or looking into a replacement patio door solution in St. Paul or Minneapolis, look no further than Great Plains Windows and Doors. Our residential window experts are here to help. Find out more at www.GreatPlainsWindows.com or call us today at 651-207-4571.